Sunday, December 31, 2017

January 1, 2018 OneWord: Jump #KidsDeserveIt

         Earlier this Fall my mother sent me a one word text message. She didn’t give me an explanation or the definition. For weeks, I was perplexed how it related to my life all the while it stayed glued in the back of my mind, until today. In 2018 my #OneWord is



Dictionary.com defines jump as, “to spring clear of the ground, leap, to rise suddenly or quickly.” Great, but I don’t think that’s the type of jump definition my mother was thinking of. Steve Harvey, the famous talk-show-host defines jump a little differently. He says jumping consists of the gifts you have: how to network, how to cut hair, how to bake, how to cook, and so forth. Then go out and live the gift. “The only way for you to soar is you have to jump. You have to take the gift you have on your back and you have to jump off the cliff and pull that cord.”

2017 was a tough year: the death of my grandfather, changing jobs, moving 24 hours away from all my family, loss of friendships, etc. But it was also full of celebrations: personal running records shattered, my sister getting married, a new school full of exuberant teachers.  

This year this I will have to let go of my past to take the next step toward jumping. I’ll have to go outside my comfort zone and make decisions that I won’t trust at first. It’s going to be very uncomfortable and uneasy at times. The probability of failing is high. The critics will say, “I told you so.” The pain of failure will be unbearable and embarrassing. People fear jumping. The positives far outweigh the negatives.  It sounds so miserable right?

The possibility of jumping is too great to waste. To soar we must jump! We can’t just stare and watch the clouds pass us by. That’s living life with regrets and not telling our story. We all have so many talents that we’re given or that we’ve crafted over the years. So whatever talents you have use them to jump to new heights and different horizons. If you don’t like where your life is headed don’t be afraid to jump (to a different path.) We only have a limited amount time so don’t waste a moment of it. There is no going back to yesterday. To jump we must get up when we feel defeated and start over. Your desire and faith have to be greater than your doubt. If you want to make your dreams, goals, desires a reality you must jump! Step off the cliff. Ready yourself for what happens next, you won’t regret it. This year I'm going to jump, will you? Don't waste another second, jump!                                                                                                                                                                                                            - Mr. P 


No comments:

Post a Comment