Wednesday, December 27, 2017

December 27: Fuel #KidsDeserveIt


              As I’m currently training the Gasparilla Half Marathon in Tampa Bay, Florida several of my blogs in January and February will be about my post run reflections.

Run #7 stats: 5 miles, 31:49, 6:21 pace

            This morning I woke up later than usual. I saw my clock and panicked when I read 9:01am. Alexa (my Amazon Echo) proceeded to tell me it was sunny and already in the high 60s. I scurried to grab my iPhone, earbuds, and lace up my Brooks as my Garmin watch quickly calibrated the GPS satellite.  I locked the door and started running.
           
           I got into my usual running pace, but the problems arose just as fast I got there. My stomach to start grumbling, my mouth watering, and sweat was pouring down like a waterfall. My legs slowed and as my time climbed. I knew what I failed to do: fuel up.
           
           My body was telling me I needed to fuel up before I ran, but I ignored it for selfish reasons (time constraints, weather, etc.). The result: pain, less mileage, and disappointment. As educators we oftentimes try to power through the long dog days of teaching because we have to (be on time, make copies, sharpen pencils, attend meetings, etc.) immediately instead of making that quick pit stop to Starbucks or the vending machine to grab fuel. Don’t get me wrong those things are important and necessary, but having fuel to be at your best is important. Without fuel, you won’t be at your best.
          
           Combat this dilemma in two ways: plan ahead and/or ask. If you know what you need, prepare: get up earlier, set an alarm, plan ahead. Also, don’t be afraid to ask others.  Your teacher besties and staff will gladly grab you whatever you need. They are your biggest supporters! Make sure you grab the fuel to be at your best! Fuel up everyone!  

-Mr. P         

No comments:

Post a Comment