Wednesday, January 10, 2018

January 10: Morning Routine #KidsDeserveIt


Today was a typical morning. I got to school, put on my earphones and started jamming out as I galloped out of my Mustang into my Spaceship (formerly known as my classroom). I flipped on all the Christmas lights and lamps and watched my room come to life in the darkness of the morning hours. I grabbed copies for a substitute folder that literally I ran the length of a football field to a teacher’s portable classroom. Next, I studied my Math lesson plan for the day. Visualizing what would happen, and what questions would be asked, as I walked on the student tables (because that’s how I teach).

 I few minutes I’m gave out FREE high fives to students getting off the buses. NO charge necessary. Today I noticed a few frowns so I did my best Donald Duck voice to lightened their mood as I complimented their hair, book-bags, and clothing style. One older student asked me about where Tornado Alley was and if I had ever survived a Tornado. It was an amazing conversation that ended too soon. (Fun fact: One of my top five lessons to teach is about Natural Disasters involving Tornados).

Shortly after, I received a staff text message asking if anyone had any hairnets. My face dropped because this text message involved me. My favorite assistant principal of all time forgot the bring the hairnets for me…WHAT?! No worries, the show would go on…literally. I few minutes later I picked up my students and told them I was going to be on the morning show so we’d be having part of our class in the library. As they sat working on their bell work, I put on a trash bag and a microphone for the big surprise. Mr. Wessels (wearing a running outfit) was promoting his third graders to come to game night with an AMAZING RACE theme. I went on the show to promote FAMILY GAME NIGHT…except Jimmy Fallon and Wade King Style. I explained the game to the audience: EGG RUSSIAN ROULETTE is where you randomly pick an egg: it might be hard boiled or raw. I guessed wrong, and splattered a raw egg in my hair to the delight of every student.


Tomorrow I’ll be wearing my Pac-Man suit to promote family game night during the day. Fourth grade will be playing giant Jenga, giant Connect Four, Pie in the Face, and Egg Russian Roulette. It’s a going to be EGG-celent!
-Mr. P 

No comments:

Post a Comment