Wednesday, April 25, 2018

April 25: Dare to be Different Revisited


 “You’re different and don’t fit in.” A year ago a school employee said those words that have lit a fire in me ever since. Today I’m proud to say to say that I am different and don’t fit. Here’s why…



             Scenario 1: Imagine a classroom where ALL the students walked into your classroom, sat at their seats, and listened to their teacher teach a lesson. Imagine a day where no students ask to go to the bathroom or ask an off topic question. Scenario 2: Imagine a classroom where ALL the students where frantically searching your classroom, all are out of their seats, and no one is listening to their teacher. Students are asking off topic questions.

            Which scenario do you prefer? Which scenario sounds oh-so perfect? If you chose Scenario 1, you’re in the majority. Most people would choose Scenario 1 in a heartbeat, and rightly so. If this scernario happens in your classroom daily, let us know, we want to visit.  

           If you chose Scenario 2, what were you thinking? Are you CRAZY? (You probably are.) In Scenario 2, the idea of students being out of their seats & not listening to their teacher sounds like a disaster. Its total chaos! That’s where you might be wrong.

           In Scenario 2 the students are frantically searching the classroom… for clues because their teacher, who’s dressed as Indiana Jones hid the clues to their math problems around the school with map. No one is listening to the teacher… because the teacher is being tied to a tree with a rope with a lock. The only way to save him is to complete the map to find the key to free him. They’re asking questions because it’s almost lunchtime and the winners earn points for their house and get to eat first.

           Scenario 2 is my kind of teaching. I like to keep my students on their toes. Dressing up as characters and room transformations are reality constantly in our classroom. Once students get a taste for these lessons two things happen: our scores increase and the behaviors decrease. Everyone is genuinely happy and always looking forward to the next day. It’s unpredictable, especially when I tell them they’re going to have a substitute.  Scenario 1 isn’t for me. It’s boring and just like everyone else.

           I want to be different. I want to my students to be different, to dream bigger, and to think of ideas no one ever has. My students encourage it! I might have the first female president in my classroom or the boy who will be the first to go to planet x908W803 in my classroom. That’s why I dress up in a wide variety of characters. That’s why I have different handshakes with all my students. That’s why I spend the hours into my lessons. That’s why I teach differently. Maybe, just maybe they’ll grow up to be different and do something no one has ever done!

To get a glimpse into our classroom, visit my classroom anytime at Caldwell Elementary in Auburndale, Florida or visit us on Instagram or Twitter @jordanpotrzeba

No comments:

Post a Comment