Thursday, January 4, 2018

January 4: What Do You See? #KidsDeserveIt



Congratulations you are now taking a pop quiz. Please get out one pencil and one piece of lined paper in 5….4….3….2….1…0. Now you have 1 minute to write down the answers to the two following questions; What do you notice? What do you wonder? On your mark….get set….GO! 
(Feel free to try this before strolling below)

I see a student who attempted to wrap this gift. I notice my last name is capitalized correctly.  I’m wondering if he wanted to put more bows on the gift. I’m also wondering why he crossed out “the” when to me looks great! I notice a student who showed up to school on time (which is starting to happen a lot!) I see a student who stayed on his flexible all class. I also see a student who earned many tickets for his amazing effort in class today. I wonder if we can keep this streak going forever. I see a student who cares about me.

The truth is the story is so much deeper than just a picture. The backstory is a familiar for many veteran teachers: a student who is known around the school is put into your classroom, you stay positive but start pulling your hair out when the rumors become reality, and then…slowly but surely something happens and the student changes.

It’s a lovely story and I wish I could say that this change will stay like this everyday and that it will always work out this way. The truth is it might not. (I didn’t say won’t because I’m a optimist about everything). I’ve only taught for one and half years, but many co-workers will say there are some students that might never change no matter how hard a teacher tries. If that’s the case, then at least don’t stop trying.

            This gift (that I haven’t even opened) doesn’t happen without a relationship. Relationships have to come first to build trust, comfort, and safety. It wasn’t built on day one and it’s still far finished. This relationship is mainly built on a belief. For this student I had to dig deep to believe in him until when I finally saw him writing capitals and low case letters in the lines when asked to do so. I acknowledged it to him, bought into his capabilities and haven’t stopped since. So much that in a meeting with tears in my eyes defending in why I believe this kid can make a learning gain. When I met with his mom for the first time (weeks after the meeting), she said “I already know what you’re going to say. He…” I stopped her mid sentence and said, “has potential! He can write. He can think. He’s hearing what I’m teaching. He can do this with baby steps to independence.”

 The saddest part was no one has ever told him the things his mom told me. It blew my mind. It’s my belief that every person has good in them. People just make bad decisions. If you’re constantly hearing how bad you are you’re going to start believing it as a child because they’re still cognitive developing so much. Did you notice I didn’t mention any negative comments in my description about the package? I didn’t because the gift looked great the way it was given to me. The words “it’s the thought that costs” has never been truer when he gave me that gift this morning.


-Mr. P 

No comments:

Post a Comment