“I started running again like we planned. I don't feel any pain while running, but I feel it when I walk. Just like I did months ago.”
(Shocked and discouraged) “You already know what you should do...”
-Part of a conversation with my podiatrist
I got the news I long expected from my podiatrist yesterday. The news should’ve been weight off my shoulders, but instead only added weight to my upcoming January races.
When my podiatrist and I agreed to the plan ahead, the reality didn’t set in until I sat in my Mustang a few minutes later. My races in January are going to be my last for quite some time (more than likely). Luckily the good news is that I get one more training cycle to give my body it has. To be honest, the details won’t be finalized for a few more months, so I can’t share much.
What I do know is that no amount of time off has healed the pain. That means it’s time to do what we’ve all tried to avoid for me. What I also know is that the body is an incredible thing. Last night I went for a 4 mile run and for fun ran sub six minute miles and one time I hit a 4:52 mile temporarily.
I’ve gotten asked if I regret racing competitively 52 months in a row. I don’t at all. I wouldn’t change anything. I secretly was dreaming of making it 60 months. What started as a 12 month goal became 24 months, then 36, and 48. It went by so quickly. I exceeded my expectations and have done races I never thought of. I hit my fastest paces in the middle and late of the streak. It was fun! Each medal and bib I wrote special memories from the races that I’ll cherish for the rest of my life.
When I started running and playing recreationally earlier this month, my physical therapist became concerned when I told her the pain had returned. Her concern was valid as I was too. But… life isn’t meant to be lived on a couch. I’m a teacher, runner, coach, biker, hiker, mini bowler (long story), and more. By running, coaching, and playing recreationally it gave me hindsight that no amount of time has healed the pain that lies deep in my ankle. (The same thing happened in 2020 on the same foot.)
For years I’ve carried around the weight of this ankle pain. At times it causes me to grimace in pain. At worse times, it causes me to limp. No amount of rest, medication, and ice has healed the deep pain I feel. Having the pain has added weight on me physically and emotionally.
I’m going to run freely and have fun building my running base. Then train while managing my ankle pain. Then come January 2027… I’m going to give the Dopey Challenge my best!
