Saturday, August 31, 2024

6 Week Check-Up

It’s August 31. We have a three-day weekend thanks to Labor Day. College football has officially kicked off. Nebraska is winning 37-7 against UTEP. I’m relaxing in my wood floor apartment. My new PS5 is itching to be played. I secretly just registered for the Disney Springtime Challenge in April 2025. Dominos pizza and breadsticks are awaiting me. It feels right.

 


                  Six weeks ago, I’ve moved into my new apartment and new elementary school. It seems fitting that I titled this blog a ‘check-up’ when I haven’t been to a doctor in almost a year. Shhh! Six weeks is a small sample size, but there are definitely notable differences I’ve experienced in short time in my apartment and school. 

 

                  Let’s talk about my apartment. This apartment is more than150 feet bigger, has wood floors, washer and dryer included, very updated appliances, and it only cost $100 more than my previous apartment. My bathtub filled up all the way with hot water and my stove can boil water for cooking. Simple luxuries I haven’t had in years. It’s been mostly quiet. I haven’t had any maintenance problems. All and all, it’s been relaxing and good to feel safe again. 

 

                  My new school is a work in progress. That’s common for new schools. Two new OCPS middle schools barely were opened a day or two for teachers before their school year started. We were more fortunate having twelve days to get acclimated to our surroundings. Although this classroom is my smallest in my nine years of teaching, I’m blessed with great students, supportive parents, and an incredible team of teachers and principals. 


Joining a staff that the majority followed our principal from his previous school has its challenges mentally. While many teachers know each other and tendencies of the administration, I don’t. At times, I feel very lonely at school. All of this is common for teachers at new schools. Four years ago, at my previous school, I felt the same way. With time, I’ll feel at home. Friday was a big step. I wore my Nebraska corn hat, long sleeve, and overalls for College Colors Day. The reaction and conversations I had with many students and teachers felt good and optimistic for the rest of the school year. 


So far I haven’t done much in the area because of how busy both moves have kept me, but I have run a few times and haven’t missed a Sunday church service. Both feel refreshing for my soul, even if I’m on “break” from running before my marathon training kicks into gear. I have been getting my groceries from Publix and Target since the local Wal-Mart is consistently jam packed. At times both stores have made me feel like I’m shopping in a foreign country, but helpful. After trying the local Little Caesars last week and being very disappointed, I opted for Dominos this week, for the first time in a decade, and it was a welcome change. My reading hasn’t quite picked up yet unlike my Lego building and movie watching. I even snuck away to see my first WWE event at the Kia Center and watch the new Deadpool & Wolverine movie with two friends. 


Six weeks later, my first check-up is very positive! I feel safer at my apartment and happier at my school than I did at my previous stop. I love how much space I have in my apartment and how I set it up. My new school is full of supportive teachers and extremely kind and intelligent students. And… I’m starting to like Publix. But don’t tell anyone that. I’d say this check-up is better than expected. I’m excited for the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment